I am an educator and mathematician. My primary focus is on teaching and mentoring, as the Director of UMTYMP and other educational programs in MathCEP. You might know me from other settings as well, including:
- Doenet, the Distributed Open Education Network
- MJUM, the MN Journal of Undergraduate Mathematics
- MS in Math with Emphasis on Math Education. (Faculty Advisor)
- MAA-NCS. (Go to your local MAA section meeting!)
I have a long-standing interest in mathematical visualization and its use in the classroom. Use the link below to see various projects, old and new.
I frequently supervise CLA senior projects, usually (but not always) with students who have taken a class with me. Contact me to discuss potential projects.
I also lead research projects with students, particularly UMTYMP students and alumni. See this paper for an example.
I always enjoy sharing the beauty of mathematics with others. I have talks appropriate for K-12 students, teachers, undergraduates, MAA meetings, and public lectures. If you’re interested in having me speak to your class or other gathering, please contact me!
Odds and Ends
- CV (short version, last updated Fall 2021)
- Is your school in the MAA’s North Central Section? Take part in the Heuer Team Competition every November!
- Where can you find me outside of the University? I like the woods. And water. And following our kids around (Minnesota Ultimate, Skinny Ski, music concerts…)
- I did my graduate degree at the University of Minnesota after going to Augustana College (now University). Between college and graduate school, I spent a year at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität in Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany.