Resource-aware sensing, estimation, and control, including:
- Vision-aided inertial navigation for space, aerial, ground, and underwater vehicles
- Large-scale 3D localization and mapping on mobile devices (cell phones, wearables, etc)
- Multirobot localization, mapping, and navigation
- Fault detection and identification
- Human-robot cooperation
- Mobile manipulation
RESEARCH GRANTS (current)
- "NRI Large: Collaborative Research: Human-robot Coordinated Manipulation and Trans-
portation of Large Objects", PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, with Demoz Gebre-Egziabher
(UMN), Paul Oh (Drexel Univ.), Ioannis Poulakakis (Univ. of Delaware), Steven LaValle,
(UIUC) Vijay Kumar, and Daniel Lee (UPenn). NSF National Robotics Initiative program
- "Robust, Building Scale Odometry, Mapping, and Relocalization on a Mobile Platform," PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, Google, Advanced Technology and Projects (ATAP), 05/13/13-12/31/15.
- “RI: Large: Collaborative Research: A Robotic Network for Locating and Removing Invasive Carp from Inland Lakes,” PI: Volkan Isler, with Peter Sorenson, NSF, 08/01/11-07/31/16.
- “CHASE: Control of Heterogeneous Autonomous Sensors for Situational Awareness” UMN-PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, with Ali Jadbabaie, Vijay Kumar, Alejandro Ribeiro (UPenn), Kannan Ramachandran, Shankar Sastry, Claire Tomlin (UC Berkeley), and Nihar Jindal (UMN), AFOSR FY 2010 MURI Topic #18 Control of Information Collection and Fusion, 10/01/10-04/30/16.
RESEARCH GRANTS (past)
- "Robotics-Mobile Robot Navigation", UMN PI: Stergios Roumeliots, with Bart Gold-
estein, Advanced Scientific Concepts Inc., NASA STTR 07/01/13-05/01/14.
- "CDI-Type II: Cyber Enhancement of Spatial Cognition for the Visually Impaired,'' UMN-PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, with Kostas Daniilidis (PI, UPenn), Roberto Manduchi (UCSC) and Nicholas Giudice (Univ. of Maine), NSF Cyber-Enabled Discovery and Innovation (CDI) program, 09/01/08-08/31/14.
- "CAREER: Distributed Estimation and Active Sensing with Mobile Robot Networks,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program, 01/15/07-12/31/14.
- "RI-Small: Motion-Induced Sensor-to-Sensor Extrinsic Calibration,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, NSF Information and Intelligent Systems, Robust Intelligence Program (NSF 07-577), 09/01/2008-08/31/2013.
- “Collaborative Robust Integrated Sensor Positioning (CRISP),” UMN-PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, with Jeff Dickman and Han Park (Northrop Grumman, Navigation Systems Division). Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 07/01/10-10/31/13.
- "An Indoor Navigation Aid for First Responders," PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, NSF Safety, Security, and Rescue Research Center, 01/01/08-12/31/08
- "Collaborative Research: Center for Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics,'' PI: Richard Voyles, with Nikolaos Papanikolopoulos and Maria Gini, NSF (Alex Schwarzkopf) Industry/University Cooperative Research Center (NSF I/UCRC), 08/15/04-07/31/09
- "The Development of a New Generation of Miniature Search/Rescue Robots,'' PI: Janice Pearce (Berea College), with Georgios Giannakis, Maria Gini, Nikolaos Papanikolopoulos, and Richard Voyles, NSF MRI Program, 09/01/04-08/31/08
- "Estimation within the CLARAty Architecture,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Issa Nesnas), NASA, 04/01/2003-09/30/2008
- "ITR, Collaborative Research: Multi-Robot Emergency Response,'' PI: Nikolaos Papanikolopoulos, with Joel Burdick (Caltech), Baoquan Chen, Kostas Daniilidis (Upenn), Georgios Giannakis, Maria Gini, George Pappas (UPenn), and Richard Voyles, NSF (Rita Rodriguez) ITR Medium Grant, 09/01/03-08/31/08
- "Distributed estimation for networks of mobile robots and sensors,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, McKnight Land-Grant Professorship, University of Minnesota, 07/01/2006-06/30/2008
- "Plume Tracking with a Reconfigurable Computing Platform,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis with Richard Voyles, NSF Safety, Security, and Rescue Research Center, 08/29/2005-01/31/2008
- "Coupled Vision and Inertial Navigation for Pin-Point Landing,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, with Andrew Johnson (JPL), andJames Montgomery (JPL), NASA Mars Exploration Program Advanced Technologies (Chester Chu and Dave Lavery), 07/26/04-11/30/07
- "An Indoor Localization Aid for the Visually Impaired,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, Grant-in-Aid of Research, Artistry, and Scholarship Program (GIA), University of Minnesota, 01/01/06-06/30/07
- "3D Localization for Mars Rovers,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, NASA Mars Technology Program (Rich Volpe and Samad Hayati), 04/15/04-03/31/07
- "Collaborative Research: Center for Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics,'' PI: Richard Voyles, with Nikolaos Papanikolopoulos and Maria Gini, NSF (Alex Schwarzkopf)
Industry/University Cooperative Research Center (NSF I/UCRC), 08/01/03- 07/31/04
- "Real-time State Estimation for Large-scale Distributed Autonomous Systems,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, Grant-in-Aid of Research, Artistry, and Scholarship Program (GIA), University of Minnesota, 01/01/03-06/30/04
- "Vision-based & Inertial State Estimation for Autonomous Aerial and Ground Vehicles,'' PI: Stergios Roumeliotis, Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Larry Matthies), NASA, 01/01/03-05/31/04