Stergios I. Roumeliotis
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
University of Minnesota
KHKH 5-189, 200 Union St. SE Minneapolis, MN 55455
Tel: (612) 626 7507 Fax: (612) 625 0572
MARS Lab: http://mars.cs.umn.edu
Stergios I. Roumeliotis received the Diploma in Electrical Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece, in 1995, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Southern California, CA in 1999 and 2000 respectively. From 2000 to 2002 he was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the California Institute of Technology, CA. Between 2002 and 2013, he was first an Assistant and then an Associate Professor with the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota, MN, where he is currently a Professor. From 2009 to 2014, S.I. Roumeliotis was the Associate Director for Research of the Digital Technology Center. His research interests include distributed estimation under processing and communication constraints, active sensing for reconfigurable networks of sensors, and vision-aided inertial navigation for space, aerial, and ground robots, as well as mobile devices.
S.I. Roumeliotis, an IEEE Fellow (2016), is the recipient of the
Guillermo E. Borja Award (2009),
the National Science Foundation (NSF) Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) (2008), the NSF CAREER award (2006), the McKnight Land-Grant Professorship award (2006-2008), the ICRA Best Reviewer award (2006), and he is the co-recipient of the One NASA Peer award (2006), and the One NASA Center Best award (2006). Papers he has co-authored have received
the King-Sun Fu Best Paper Award of the IEEE Transactions on Robotics (2009),
the Robotics Society of Japan Best Journal Paper award (2007), the ICASSP Best Student Paper award (2006), the NASA Tech Briefs award (2004), and four of them were finalists for
the IROS Best Student Paper Award (2013), the RSS Best Paper Award (2009),
the ICRA Best Student Paper Award (2009) and the IROS Best Paper Award (2006). S.I. Roumeliotis served as Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Robotics between 2006 and 2010.
NEWS & EVENTS
- Nov. 24 2015: Stergios Roumeliotis is elevated to IEEE Fellow (2016) for his contributions to Cooperative Localization and Visual-Inertial Navigation
- Oct. 1 2013: New research award "NRI: Large: Collaborative Research: Human-robot Coordinated Manipulation and Transportation of Large Objects"
- Dec. 19 2008: White House News Anouncement, NSF Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) [Press Release] [NSF link]
- For more news and events, visit the MARS Lab website [link]
SELECTED RECENT JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- J.A. Hesch, D.G. Kottas, S.L. Bowman, and S.I. Roumeliotis, "Camera-IMU-based Localization: Observability Analysis and Consistency Improvement," International Journal of Robotics Research, 33(1), Jan. 2014, pp. 182-201 (pdf).
- X.S. Zhou and S.I. Roumeliotis, “Determining 3D Relative Transformations for Any Combination of Range and Bearing Measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, May 29(2), Apr. 2013, pp. 458-474 (pdf).
- G.P. Huang, A.I. Mourikis, and S.I. Roumeliotis, "A Quadratic-Complexity Observability-Constrained Unscented Kalman Filter for SLAM," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 29(5), Apr. 2013, pp. 458-474 (pdf).
- F.M. Mirzaei, D.G. Kottas, and S.I. Roumeliotis, “3D Lidar-Camera Intrinsic and Extrinsic Calibration: Observability Analysis and Analytical Least Squares-based Initialization,” International Journal of Robotics Research, Special Issue on Robot Vision, 31(4), Apr. 2012, pp. 452-467 (pdf).
SELECTED RECENT CONFERENCE PUBLICATIONS
- E.D. Nerurkar, K.J. Wu, and S.I. Roumeliotis, "C-KLAM: Constrained Keyframe-Based Localization and Mapping," Workshop: Multi-View Geometry in Robotics, Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS'13), Berlin, Germany, June 24-28, 2013 (pdf).
- E.D. Nerurkar and S.I. Roumeliotis, "A Communication-Bandwidth-Aware Hybrid Estimation Framework for Multi-robot Cooperative Localization," In Proc. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS'13), Tokyo, Japan, Nov. 3-7 2013 (pdf) [Best Student Paper Award Finalist]
- C.X. Guo and S.I. Roumeliotis, "IMU-RGBD Camera Navigation using Point and Plane
Features," In Proc. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS'13), Tokyo, Japan, Nov. 3-7 2013 (pdf).
- D.G. Kottas and S.I Roumeliotis, "Exploiting Urban Scenes for Vision-aided Inertial Navigation," In Proc. Robotics: Science and Systemts (RSS'13), Berlin, Germany, June 24-28, 2013 (pdf).
- K.X. Zhou and S.I Roumeliotis, “A Sparsity-aware QR Decomposition Algorithm for Efficient Cooperative Localization,” In Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA'12), Saint Paul, MN, May 14-18 2012, pp. 799-806 (pdf).
- F.M. Mirzaei and S.I. Roumeliotis, “Optimal Estimation of Vanishing Points in a Manhattan World,” In Proc. 13th International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV'11), Barcelona, Spain, Nov. 6-13 2011, pp. 2454-2461 (pdf).
- J.A. Hesch and S.I. Roumeliotis, “A Direct Least-Squares (DLS) Method for PnP,” In Proc. 13th International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV'11), Barcelona, Spain, Nov. 6-13 2011, pp. 383-390 (pdf).